View Single Post
Old 04-25-08, 11:15 AM   #7
npras42
Hi Everybody!

Default Re: What is the best 52 inch or larger LCD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3
Plasmas actually don't use much more electricity than an LCD - the amount of electricity it uses depends on the picture it's showing, but most people just go by the wattage listed in the specs which is usually just the peak.

I didn't know about the fix, but I just don't think it bodes well for a TV that needs updating just to get it to work as it should. :-/ And 120Hz does make a very big difference when watching a movie(and is the only way lcds can come close to plasmas in terms of movement judder). For sports it's still terrible though, but you always have the option of turning it off.

Sony do have some good TVs, that usually score pretty high, the w3000 series was just a big let down. But the fact is that Samsung uses the same panels and sells 'em for a lot less.

But if money wasn't an obstacle, would you still get one?
The Samsungs do use the same panels but they are often not as good. The image processing (the Bravia Engine for Sony) makes a huge difference to image quality even when you switch off all the stupid black level correction and noise reduction filters. Almost all options for image filtering are switched off on my own TV, but that doesn't mean that the processing engine is making no difference.

I know for sure that the equivalent Samsung model for my own TV comes nowhere near in image quality no matter how you set them up and as I said mine has a much better UI and connectivity. As for the equivalent to the W3000 series I can't tell you... The M87 series Samsung that came out at about the same time as the W3000 series can't be the same panels (they have wildly different specs) and they have their own problems. Also (to avoid confusion) you don't need to update the FW on the W3000 if you buy new, they are already updated.

No I wouldn't buy the Tosh one if money wasn't an obstacle but you never know if nicorulez sees them both he might not be convinced by the benefits and want to save the money for something else.
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote