View Single Post
Old 05-10-08, 06:47 PM   #87
sylar

Default Re: Official "I just got my GeForce 9600 GT" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthyBChem
Hello to everyone - I am new to the forum - I just go my 9800 GTX - works great on Windows - but can't seem to get the drivers installed on my Linux HD.
Why do I want to put such a cool card on my Linux?

Well I am interested in designing some cross-platform video games - for teaching science (spectroscopy, photosynthesis, electron configuration) just the normal stuff - really just for fun - I like the freedom of Linux (I also like the ease with which most installations work on Windows)

Anyway -

Does anyone have Ubuntu OS? - I can't get the beta drivers installed - I downloaded them from nvidia.com

Thanks in advance

(Should this be a new thread maybe????)
I just replaced my asus 8800 gt by an evga 9800 gtx a week ago, and must admit, the nvidia linux beta drivers are working surprisingly fine. (Making Ubuntu work with this card was a surprise to me, as the 8800 gt caused system lockups after less than a hour, most likely due to overheating, or problems with multible cpu cores, but my new card continues working 12 hours after reboot, and longer). Several opengl and glsl demos (compiz activated) worked well at a resolution of 1920x1200. In the Ubuntu subforum there is a forum sticky about how to install the drivers on recent linux distros, have you read it? ( http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490 )
sylar is offline   Reply With Quote