View Single Post
Old 06-13-08, 08:18 AM   #503
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Default Re: Mass Effect (PC) Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
no, KOTOR is a much better game
You say this, but all the complaints you cited are present in KotOR as well - poor inventory management, short, linear environments, quick game time. And frankly KoTOR suffered from its "silent protagonist" in comparison to ME. The story and character development is not only more original in ME, the presentation is much better. Honestly the only real difference between the two games is the combat system.

If you ask me zer0, both games are about equal in quality. What KotOR lacks, ME makes up for, and vice versa. ME's biggest weakness is its "uncharted worlds" exploration system and sidequests that are seemingly pointless or don't make sense in the context of the main plot. Despite this, some of them have interesting story lines and tie in to what you have been doing. There are a few character-based sidequests that are very quick but allow you to interact with your party members more meaningfully, much like in KotOR. It blows KotOR away in terms of the feel of the size of the game world (however artificial, the scope of being able to travel all over the galaxy at will is pretty cool), storyline and character development, and conversation system. I find ME to be more replayable too, with more character classes to choose from and a rewarding achievement system. Not to mention, the conversation trees are so robust, you can have fun seeing what different kinds of results you get from the various encounters in the game.

ME's combat system is as simple or complicated as you want it to be, depending on what class you play. Most people run through the first playthrough as the Soldier class, which is comparatively simple - just blast everything you see until it's dead. On subsequent playthroughs, crank the difficulty up and try an Engineer/Adept or one of the hybrid classes - it's a lot more challenging and very fun. Large battles, especially with biotic-enabled enemies, require a lot of planning and split-second decision making. There is a fair learning curve to the system because it's fairly deep but that isn't entirely apparent, even after completing the game once.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote