View Single Post
Old 06-16-08, 12:34 PM   #22
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Official Unofficial OSX on your non-Apple hardware thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
@six_storm, depending on the kernal version you're using there can be problems with sleep, shutdown and restart such that the computer hangs when shutting down or doesn't go into or come out of sleep. You can fix it by using a different kernal and if you just search around insanelymac I'm sure you'll find links to different kernals you can try. I'm using the vanilla kernal and restart and shutdown work fine most of the time. I turned sleep off and I just don't even bother with it.

One more thing, In case you haven't heard. The next major OSX release (Snow Leopard) 10.5.6 will focus on performance and it's rumored that it will have GPU acceleration build right into the OS. MS may want to pay attention to that because if that's the case OSX is going to wipe the floor with Vista/Windows 7 in everything but games. What's more, if Intel really pulls off raytracing with it's Larabee card we may begin to see the end of Windows as the dominant PC gaming OS since raytracing is pretty much platform independent (i.e. you don't need DX to do it). Just food for thought.
Yeah, I'm using the Vanilla kernel. It's not a big deal, especially since it's on a desktop and not a laptop. But I will be installing it on my new laptop when it arrives.

Wow, you've gone on and said something bad here in the Windows world that is NVNEWS. Nobody likes to hear that anything is better than Windows! So what does that really mean, "rumored that it will have GPU acceleration build right into the OS"?
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote