View Single Post
Old 06-16-08, 12:49 PM   #23
brady
I'm like everyone else.

Default Re: Official Unofficial OSX on your non-Apple hardware thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Yeah, I'm using the Vanilla kernel. It's not a big deal, especially since it's on a desktop and not a laptop. But I will be installing it on my new laptop when it arrives.

Wow, you've gone on and said something bad here in the Windows world that is NVNEWS. Nobody likes to hear that anything is better than Windows! So what does that really mean, "rumored that it will have GPU acceleration build right into the OS"?
The OS will have CUDA-like functionality built into it so that OS processes can be offloaded to the GPU. Note that this is different from an OS using the GPU to accelerate OS specific graphics functions like aero, for example. This would be more along the lines of the OS offloading MP3 encoding to the GPU or using the GPU to resize and transform an enormous PNG or something like that. All of these things can be done in Windows but with CUDA you need a seperate program to take advantage of them. It seems that Apple wants to leverage GPU performance for more than graphics calls natively in the OS.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Windows. Vista has worked great for me pretty much since release and I'm behind Vista x64 100% now. Apple just seems to be on something here. I mean, just look at all those little processes we've all got running in the background all the time. A lot of them might be good canditates to offload to an otherwise idle GPU which would free up the CPU to manage other things. Truthfully, Intel ought to be worried a lot with the way things are going in the GPU sector. With CUDA and Apple's desire to have GPU acceleration, the GPU will be used for the most computationally heavy tasks such as media encoding/decoding and game playing. With that being the case, what reason is there to have the highest end CPU? If the GPU is doing graphics and physics, what's left for the CPU but a AI and a few other odds and ends. You hardly need 4GHz quad core or even eight core for that. Be afraid intel. Be very afraid.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote