View Single Post
Old 06-18-08, 09:33 PM   #88
Zelda_fan

Default Re: Official Unofficial OSX on your non-Apple hardware thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
It took me a bit to realize that's the way it worked. I was trying to uninstall something and somebody ended up telling me I just drag the app to the trash and that's it. Excuse me?!?! Now that is a feature I can get use to.

The only thing I don't like, and this is probably only because I'm so use to managing resources on Windows systems, is that when you close an app like Safari by clicking the red button the app still remains in system memory and is sort of running back there. A lot of apps require you to do another right click on the icon and select 'quit' or you can click the Apple at the top left of the screen and select 'force quit' and it'll give you a list of apps that are running in the background which you can close. I don't really like that. When I'm done with something, I'm done. I don't want it hanging around in memory. So far, that's my only gripe.
I kind of like that feature actually. If I close firefox for example, since it's already in memory, it will startup instantly. Firefox loads fast anyway, but with apps that use a lot of memory (like photoshop, etc) it can be a really good feature. And if you want to unload them all you have to do is right click and click quit.

So I installed Office 2008. In short - it sucks compared to Office 2007. It's a lot better than Open Office, that's for sure, but it lags like crazy on large documents. Since I'm currently working on a document around 60+ pages, it's a deal breaker for me. And Office 2007 for Vista is a LOT better interface wise. I can format things a lot quicker. I mean, I doubt Microsoft is going to make their office suite better for the Mac than on their own OS.

But OSX is a great OS. If all you do is surf the internet, listen to music, send emails, view photos, etc, it is way better than windows. It looks prettier too. But when you start to look at actually doing work Windows has an advantage due to the sheer variety of applications for it.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote