View Single Post
Old 09-12-02, 01:01 PM   #34
mcortz_2000
X-Rhodesian

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by ErrorS
Personally I'm surprised at how well the R9700 launch went.. of course people are posting at rage3d about their problems, but where else are they gonna post? They gonna e-mail ATi?(which is a joke.. no real person ever reads their support e-mail) ..

I know i've been visiting forums for video cards since I had my Voodoo3 .. and well every card I've seen has had problems at launch.. The ones that REALLY stick out as the problematic cards were the GF1 and Radeon8500 ... otherwise you get the occasional: 'MY SYSTEM LOCKS UP!' or: 'MY SYSTEM WONT START' or my favorite: 'MY 3DMARK SCORE IS TOO LOW' ...

find any 3rd party nvidia card manufactuar's forums and you will see people having the same problems they have with R9700 .. most of them..

the AGP8X problem and people needing a new BIOS? Big deal.. I know Xabre wont even work in AGP4x .. and a bios update? what motherboard doesnt have bios updates? video cards/comptuers all together arent as simple as they use to be..

I honestly think the R9700 launch was great .. some problems but they can be expected ..

people who own GF4s shouldnt even think about buying the R9700 though.. R9700 is ALOT faster.. but FFS your GF4 isnt fast enough? im sorry.. but anyone who even considers it is insane

and about drivers.. ati drivers are ALOT better, i could even say they are 'good' now.. but they deffinately arent perfect .. and only judging by the lack of complaints from GF4 owners I can say they arent as good as nvidia's drivers.. but they are functional and work right in MOST games without any hassle.. still though, if a new game comes out and it isnt coded by john carmack, i can say from the start my radeon will have SOME problem with it for a couple of days (if its a popular game) or a couple of months (if its a not so popular game)
Hi there ErrorS,

I hate to say this but I must. As much as I would like to agree with what u say u have made some comments that I believe are incorrect.

1. Ati support technicians or the likes have been present on Rage3D for example... helping people out with their problems. The response has been really positive from the Rage3D members and from many other people as well so in a way they have upped the level of support which is a welcome sign.

2.The Geforce 1 had nothing in the amount of problems that the Ati8500 had and this is from personal experience and from many others.

3.The AGP 8x deal is more serious than u think. The problem seems to stem from clocked frequencies being too high and not being stable as well. The bios for the Ati9700 apparently downs the operating frequencies to bring stability. I realize that there have been power issues but this is not just a simple bios fix, it is a problem in the sense that people paying $350 for a video card should be able to have the card working at the advertised clock speeds etc...

4.The Ati is for people that want to be able to run games with 4x AA and 16x anis(more or less) and to be able to have playable frames even at high resolutions 1024 and above. In these cases the 9700 is significantly faster, and by and large margin.

5.The drivers on the other hand have improved a lot but are still nowhere near where they should be. This is with the released driver and the beta driver.

Please understand this is not a flame just a correction that many people can attest to.

(excuse any bad spelling if there is)

This info has been publically made known by many Ati9700 owners and the likes. I am open to peoples opinions but sometimes the facts are too hard to ignore.

This just my $0.02.
1 x 80Gig 7200(2MB) W/D
SB Augidy Gamer
Ati 9700(non-pro) - cat3.1(Omega)
Logitech Z-560's (AWESOME)
Viewsonic 19" P95f (Brilliant)
Lian-Li PC-65 / side window, 430Watt Enermax
WinXP / SP1

The one, the only
-- RanglerGRS --

Last edited by mcortz_2000; 09-12-02 at 05:30 PM.
mcortz_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote