View Single Post
Old 06-21-08, 03:53 PM   #1391
JigenD

Default Re: Flight Simulator X Full Version Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
I posted this in another thread but hopefully someone here can give me some more solid info.
-----

What is it that makes a flight sim so CPU limited? I've never really understood that.

How can hundreds of AI soldiers in an RTS or dozens of bots in a first person shooter (with realistic physics) run at 80+ fps when Flight Simulators seem to be stuck in the 20s indefinitely?

How can they be THAT CPU heavy with a single object moving through the air?

If they are actually simulating the movement of air over the wings, I can see how that'd bring a decent CPU load... but looking back at the numbers, it still seems like a bit of a stretch to think that the fastest cpu on the market can barely manage 30fps average.
I think it's because MS Flight Sim is a patchwork mess collected over many generations. I can think of a lot of flight sims that ran well when they were new. IL-2 Sturmovik series is one of those. Lockon only ran poorly because it was pretty cutting edge and probably didn't have the best coders.

None of these flight simulators do as much simulation as I'd like, the fact that you can fly a 747 under the golden gate bridge with relative ease under full simulation conditions in FSX (I've done this in the game) is proof of that.
JigenD is offline   Reply With Quote