View Single Post
Old 06-23-08, 08:48 AM   #32
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Default Re: linux makes me masochistic

More fuel into flames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolution View Post
Every security update, every patch where you need to recompile. Every kernel update (biggest thing). Incompatibilities on kernels, on libraries. Libraries not being found even though I just compiled the files (nfnetlink_queue). ./configure failing, make failing, libtool not adding the library files correctly.

General nuances: updating apache? well, you may as well update php too, well your updating php, probably should update mysql for the new libraries. there goes 45 minutes.
Switch to Debian and learn to run "aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade". Done. If you need to compile stuff yourself for whatever reason, there are two things you can blame. Customer and the distribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolution View Post
I'm sure if you have physical access, its a lot easier than just using ssh to do everything.
Physical access changes very little. You can do virtually everything over SSH with very little fuzz.

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote