View Single Post
Old 06-23-08, 08:30 AM   #11
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Default Re: NVDIA or ATI (over Linux)

A few thoughts.

nVidia's drivers used to be better in terms of stability and performance. I bought a 7800GT to replace my 9800pro and X hasn't frozen ever since. That was, of course, back in 2005 so the situation could be quite different nowadays.

ATI's installer could produce a Debian package back in 2005. nVidia's installer can only install files directly on your disk, past package management system. Debian comes with packaged drivers, but those are often lagging far behind the latest versions. I have a script to package the drivers, but it may stop working when nVidia decides to change something.

All things considered, I prefer nVidia. Having to package the drivers myself is a small price to pay for stability I've enjoyed for past three years. Besides my 9600GT has a passive heatsink.

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]

Last edited by wnd; 08-16-08 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote