View Single Post
Old 06-23-08, 11:24 AM   #61
Redeemed

Default Re: Will Radeon HD 4870 turn up the heat on the GTX 280?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaguy View Post
Why are you picking and choosing with this benchmark? all you talk about is the min fps but fail to realize that the GTX 280 is averaging 20 more FPS than the GX2.

The average is what counts the most since thats where you will spend the majority of your time and the last time I checked 27fps to 47fps is a pretty big difference.

Yes a min 16fps is nothing to write home about but there will be plenty of scenarios in other games to where the GX2 is falling below that critical 30fps point while the GTX 280 will be able to stay above it.

Bottom line the GTX 280 offers the smoothest gaming experience possible right now and thats what makes it the current best choice despite its high price.
What you're assuming is people's wallets are infinitely full- which is not true. I cannot afford a single GTX280... let alone two of them. Yet if I want that same level of performance what are my options? Well, I could go with a single 4870X2 that'll net me near identical performance for around $150 less. The *only* real advantage the GTX280 has at this point is that it's a single card. But that advantage isn't worth $150 IMO. That $150 will instead pay for the next two week's gas.

Price/performance the GTX280 and 260 lose. Brute performance alone, they win. I've already stated this and I'll never deny it. The GTX280 are the performance champs, primarily in high-res and hi-AA and AF scenerios. But their price isn't justified. If you can afford 'em, then pick up three of them and enjoy being able to play everything out there 100% maxed. That capability really isn't worth the price tag that comes with it for me though.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote