View Single Post
Old 06-25-08, 02:09 AM   #18
dancid

Default Re: Evga GTX 280 FTW crash problems - not overheating

I'm having a similar problem as far as I can tell. I got the EVGA gtx280 superclocked edition, and i have a 660 watt PSU. I turn on age of conan and after about 5 minutes exactly as other say, my computer goes dead, the screen doesn't go blank, there's a pop in the speakers (which is what my comp does when it shuts off) and all fans everything goes off simultaneously in a split second, it so sudden I don't get sad until about 2 seconds after it's off It only happens when i'm playing conan (haven't tried any other games, because i've not installed any). If i install the superclocked editions OC software that comes with it, it automatically clocks it way too high and the temp goes up over 250F. If i shut off the application and it doesn't seem to do it. So i've been monitoring and adjusting fan speeds with nTune. For the sake of power consumptions, i've unplugged two hard drives, which leave me with single OS drive, also removed 1 cd drive, and '2' 80mm case fans. There are people on here with 1000watt PSU's which makes me think this problem may not be universally correctable until nVidia releases the patch. But if you guys have an suggestion for my specific situation, I'd be eternally grateful. I'd like to avoid RMA if I can. For the five minutes it does run conan, it runs it well.

Here's my specs:

one EVGA gtx280 superclocked edition (pci-e slot 1)
Core 2 Duo 3.0 ghz
Modular Raid max rx-630a 630 watt PSU
g skill DDR2 800 5-5-5-15
Asus p5n-t deluxe, triple SLI (only '2' pci-e 2.0, the other is 1 or 1.1 dunno)
nForce 780i chipset (mother board has no fan on bridge, but has a copper pipe system which extends to other parts of the boards, but is based at the bridge with a large copper heatsink. I've seen pictures of this motherboard from manufacturer with a cyclone fan on top of the bridge, however, i got an open-box motherboard from new egg, wish i hadn't. It seems to run faily cool anyhow.)
500 gig seagate serial ATA2
Sony DVD rewritable

I apologize if this post is TMI, i'm new to tech forums.
Thank you all for your help
dancid is offline   Reply With Quote