View Single Post
Old 09-12-02, 05:28 PM   #37
mcortz_2000
X-Rhodesian

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by ErrorS

well I just recently bought a Radeon8500 so I dunno how the problems were 1st hand (i did follow rage3d message boards extremely closely though) .. but I did buy a GF1 SDR like 3 days after release.. it looked like crap in all games and ran like crap in most games... I can say for a fact GF1 was an unstable POS .. sure the card was fast, but was nothing in term of that feeling of "completeness" my Voodoo3 had.. cant explain that feeling or back it up with any kind of hard proof.. games just felt better on my V3 (except for halflife)

now about the tech support.. ok, this is Radeon9700 .. their brand new card.. I'm a radeon1 owner, I have e-mailed ATi for support numerous times with no responce.. same with my new Radeon8500, no support.. Driver fixes? all for Radeon9000 and Radeon9700 .. this might seem fine, but what happens when ATi releases R350? You might lose that hardcore support you're getting for your radeon9700 now.. the ONLY support people are getting are 2-3 individuals who worked on the Radeon9700 using their own time to help people out.. it doesn't mean ATi has good support..

and sorry for mentioning the AGP8X issue when in all reality i knew nothing about it .. I thought I saw somewhere a new BIOS would fix it.. guess I was wrong?

and please cut that disclaimer about you being neither an nvidiot or fanatic .. and the "I'm not flaming you or being rude!" I've seen the light and it's somewhere in between ATi and nVidia .. screw being a fanboy

and to reply to Gator..

I agree with you about the Radeon1 being a great card.. I bought a Radeon8500.. it was nice but didnt have that same feeling my Radeon64MB VIVO did.. even physically the card felt less complete then my radeon1 ..

1. The 2d IQ was worse then my Radeon1
2. Quake3/3dmark(Dragon test) skies and other games that user smaller textures (causing any graphical quality problems to show up easier) just looked horrible..
3. FSAA was BLURY .. i hated R8500's FSAA

dont get me wrong.. Radeon8500 is overall alot better then my Radeon1 ... but still, it seems like each generation video card manufactuars cut some corners to make sure their card is noticebly faster..

ok .. apologies if i sounded retarded in this post.. i really need some sleep.. heh
The GF1 came in DDR and SDR version. The DDR was the Ram of choice because SDR ram was unable to give the gpu enough bandwidth to work with. A lot o fproblems are also due to certain peoples abilities to mess up a computer where they are over-confident with installation on a Hardware and Software level.
At the same time I once as well have had a Voodoo1, Voodoo2 and Voodoo3 and i do have fond memories but the Geforce1 brough AGP textures, sharper textures, 32Bit support and better fog in games. There were other graphical features new as well to the gaming community to adapt and once the extension were learn't the gaming arena has never looked sweeter.

I never mentioned anything about there quality in regards to the email support response time. This might well be the case still but their effort as of late is welcome.

No probs about the AGP8x issue, I tend to get abit technical sometimes so don't worry too much. Anyway I appreciate your reply and its interesting to hear your opinion on these matters.
Please feel free to point me out if I say something incorrect.

The disclaimer will be taken down as long as no flaming occurs. I enjoy talking to most people on these forums and I would like to keep it that way, makes things go far smoother.
1 x 80Gig 7200(2MB) W/D
SB Augidy Gamer
Ati 9700(non-pro) - cat3.1(Omega)
Logitech Z-560's (AWESOME)
Viewsonic 19" P95f (Brilliant)
Lian-Li PC-65 / side window, 430Watt Enermax
WinXP / SP1

The one, the only
-- RanglerGRS --
mcortz_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote