View Single Post
Old 06-29-08, 03:44 PM   #7
Zapablast05
ZapaFAILmaster of Merwang

Send a message via AIM to Zapablast05
Default Re: I'm a noob at HT Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
For the money the Z-5550's are your best bet. I researched for over a month trying to find the best solution and I feel good about my decision.

I have it connected via optical and the sound in movies with my toshiba hdtv with direct tv is amazing. Especially when you consider I only have $250 in the sound system.

A good receiver will cost you more than that.
That's what I was thinking about. They seem like a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
I think for that money the Z-5500 are gonna be the ones to go for. Most people rate them.

EDIT: This thread might be of use to you.
I read that thread and Iduguay said that Z-5500's are crap for HT. I'm thinking about getting them though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Why not keep your current speakers and purchase a new reciever? Most recievers allow you to designate which speakers are small/large/not present. So for the fronts, set them to "Large", the center and surrounds set to "Small" and just have the sub disabled. That way your fronts will out put all the bass without drowning out your rear speakers.

Well, that's what I'd do anyway. Here's a couple recievers I've been eyeing at newegg:

Pioneer VSX 818-V-K

Yamaha HTR 6130BL

Yamaha HTR 6140BL

You might check places like Circuit City, Best Buy, etc- for some good recievers. I'm betting your speakers are fine, you just need a good reciever to power 'em.
Well, the front speakers have the subs built in, so I basically have 2 subs as front speakers. They're not really subs, they're just way louder and hit low frequencies and I can't hear the surround because they overpower everything else. I think they're like 100w and the surround speakers are 30w.

Is it better to buy a new receiver? I was taking a look at them and they look really complex from the back. If I'm gonna get a new receiver, I'd wanna get one with a CD player.

Xbox Live: Zapablast05 click!|3DMark06: 17,001|
PSN: Zapablast05
Originally Posted by crainger: "Come meet my son Zapablast05"
Originally Posted by crainger: A truck wont get the pussy zapa has become accustomed to.
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL: In fact, I measure years in BC and AC (before Camp0rz and after Camp0rz).
I don't want to get you drunk, but, ah, that's a very fine Chardonnay you're not drinking.
Zapablast05 is offline   Reply With Quote