View Single Post
Old 06-29-08, 04:27 PM   #9
Zapablast05
ZapaFAILmaster of Merwang

Send a message via AIM to Zapablast05
Default Re: I'm a noob at HT Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
You're right, they're not subs but "woofers" instead- though they'd essentially function the same way. Also, I'd bet your rear speakers can handle up to 100w. I'm betting your setup is 100w x5. The problem is it sounds, that your current reciever is focusing too much on the fronts. A proper reciever will allow you to balance the sound at.

See, with subs (or in your case, dual woofers) their placement isn't nearly as critical as with the rest of the speakers- bass isn't nearly as directional as the mid and higher frequencies. So what should happen is the two woofers would function as subs (so instead of "5.1" surround you'd have "5.2"... if you get my drift) but the rest of the speakers would be focused on mids and highs- just like your rear and center speakers. So the sound should be balanced (possibly with some minor adjusting).

As for having a CD-Player, what about your current rack system? Does that not have a CD/DVD changer? If so, you might be able to use that with the new reciever. As for the back of the reciever being complicated- not really. If you can figure out how to put a computer together, wiring in a reciever will be a piece of caek! a
Well, there's this thing on the front of the receiver that says "Surround balance +-" and no matter which I press, + or -, there's no difference. I have the speakers set to "Surround Mode - Pro Logic, Center Mode- Wide."

Here are the specs of my system:

Built-in Decoders: Dolby Pro Logic
Output Power / Total: 330 Watt
Amplifier Output Details:
* 120 Watt - 8 Ohm - THD 0.9% - 2 channel(s) ( front )
* 30 Watt - 8 Ohm - THD 0.9% - 1 channel(s) ( center )
* 30 Watt - 8 Ohm - THD 0.9% - 2 channel(s) ( rear )

Speaker system
Speaker(s):
* 2 x right/left channel speaker - 3-way - external - 120 Watt - 8 Ohm - wired
* 1 x center channel speaker - 2-way - external - 30 Watt - 8 Ohm - wired
* 2 x right/left rear channel speaker - external - 30 Watt - 8 Ohm - wired
Driver Details: Right/left channel speaker : 1 x woofer driver - 15"

I think I might just buy a new receiver with a CD player. The rack I have doesn't have digital output and the CD player stopped working. It's cheaper than buying the Z-5500's.

Xbox Live: Zapablast05 click!|3DMark06: 17,001|
PSN: Zapablast05
Originally Posted by crainger: "Come meet my son Zapablast05"
Originally Posted by crainger: A truck wont get the pussy zapa has become accustomed to.
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL: In fact, I measure years in BC and AC (before Camp0rz and after Camp0rz).
I don't want to get you drunk, but, ah, that's a very fine Chardonnay you're not drinking.
Zapablast05 is offline   Reply With Quote