View Single Post
Old 06-29-08, 07:42 PM   #11
Xion X2

Default Re: Undervolting GTX280 - The Way To Be Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsen78 View Post
Lol! Are you serious?

Cause the 80%-100% Fan is annoying!

I know about 30 people who own a GTX280 and 10 are getting a watercooler for the GTX280 and 10 are flashing their bios.
What you do is your choice - my choice is the silence (less heat, less power consumption)
Undervolting the card is not the way to go, though. If you undervolt it, then when the card is under full load and needs that extra voltage and can't find it, then it's going to either fizzle out or die. Perhaps both.

There's an easier solution for a buzzing fan. It's called "case airflow." Either get a case that has vents on the side or buy a couple of high CFM fans to place around the card to suck in cool air through. Voila. The extra loud fan on the card won't have to spin as fast because the temps inside the case won't be like a sahara desert.

But no one should undervolt their video card; that's just asking for trouble. If the voltage is set at spec, it's because the card will eventually need it to perform. I'm always amused by forum gurus who think they know more than MIT engineers up at Nvidia.
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote