View Single Post
Old 06-30-08, 01:25 AM   #12
Redeemed

Default Re: I'm a noob at HT Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapablast05 View Post
The rear speakers are probably 10"l x 6"w x 6"h, probably the size of your average modem and as tall as 3 of them. They are really weak, I have to be within "whisper" earshot range to hear them. I gotta be really, really, close for them to be audible. They're basically bookshelf speakers because....well I have them in book shelves, lol. The living room is probably your average 20' x 20' room. I don't want my PC hooked up to it. I'll most likely have a Blu-Ray player hooked up to it (probably a PS3) and my cable receiver.

The reason why I want a CD changer on it is because the system was originally a home stereo system, so it came with a 24 CD changer and a dual tape deck. I'm gonna be the one buying it, so if my mom sees that I bought a new receiver without any AM/FM/CD changer built in, she would probably not want it to be used. I want to double the A/V system as a music player, too. There has to be some kind of low priced receiver with AM/FM/CD playback. If not, I'll just get something that's good and cheap with DPL, DPL, DTS, Dolby Digital via optical S/PDIF.
You can easily find recievers that have built in DVD/CD Changers... but as for the tape deck... more than likely that'd have to be a seperate component. The recievers with built in CD/DVD Changers are usually referred to as "Home-Theater-In-A-Box", and if quality is anything you're concerned with I'd recommend staying away from such a unit (we have one in our living room and it works well, it's just for the same price I could have gotten something quite a bit better).

I'd encourage you to get a seperate reciever, seperate CD/DVD Changer, and seperate tape deck. The only units that have all three as one would be your bookshelf systems. Just do some research on the components. You could pair something together for quite cheap:

Sherwood RD6500 Not the best reciever out there, but it'd do the trick. $69.95

Sony 5-Disc CD/DVD Changer w/ 1080i up-conversion. Again, not the best but it'd work for what you're after. $109.95

And finally the cassette deck. This will be the most expensive unit, probably due to them being more rare. Anyhow, take your pick. I'd go for the one that'll convert the cassette to MP3 for your PC.

Altogether you're looking at right about $330.00 for a complete new setup that'd smoke any pc-speakers while adding greater functionality (5-disc CD/DVD changer and dual cassette deck). Then, when you have the cash, replace those surround speakers with some proper bookshelf speakers- like these. You'd then have a rockin' setup. And if ever needed, replace you're current center speaker with something along the lines of this. Again, none of this is top-of-the-line equipment. There's definitely significantly better components out there... but it'd work for what you're after.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote