View Single Post
Old 07-01-08, 10:19 AM   #14
Stevedroid

Default Re: Factory OC'd GTX 260, safe/worth it?

Azanon and Nanoch make a good point about the speed binning. Are the mildly overclocked cards basically the "bad" ones that couldn't make it to the higher clocks? If they couldn't make it to the higher clocks, what are the chances that under less optimal conditions, e.g. a hot case, that they could overheat even at the mild overclock?

Here's the thing though, I really don't want to mess around with overclocking myself. I'm not a tweaker; I just want to install drivers and go, I don't want to spend time figuring out at what point the card is stable.

The card I'm looking at has a very mild overclock (602/2052), so even if it's not the best, you'd think it should be ok at those clocks, unless the 260's are that close to tolerance at stock speed, but judging by the numbers some people here are running that doesn't appear to be the case.

Annoyingly though, due to price drops, there's now a $20 difference between the standard clocked cards and the 602/2052. I'll still have to think about it a bit more, but I've got to make a decision soon.
Stevedroid is offline   Reply With Quote