View Single Post
Old 07-01-08, 01:04 PM   #12
miragedarksun

Default Re: Artifacts with GTX280 in Crysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
until you post temps there is not much go on here.
I've measured the temps in rivatuner waiting for the artifacts to appear in crysis. With the fan at (default?) 40%, it goes up to 88C. Then I tried the suggested 55% and temp goes to 82C. Finally I pushed the fan to 100% -- and the artifacts disappeared, with the temperature never raising above 75C (and my ears dying slowly). The best I could do is 90%, which makes it run at 77C. From my testing, 79C is when the artifacts start appearing.

It looks like a temperature problem alright, but not in an excessive manner. Should I RMA it? I think it makes no sense to have to fiddle with the fan settings just to have the card working, it should work out of the box. On the other hand, I know I can add more fans to the case to improve airflow, but really, should I have to? 80C doesn't seem like a prohibitive GPU temperature to me. Shouldn't the card work correctly at this temp? I wonder if I'm the only owner of a gtx280 actually addicted enough to crysis to notice this. I'm betting more on a hardware problem.

Also, shouldn't the fan adjust automatically to the necessary speed based on the temperature? I can't seem to find the option to do that in the nvidia control panel. What's more, I could swear the fan used to spin up/down as needed when I first tried the card. Maybe this happened since I installed something? nTune? Other drivers? (I've since (re)installed physx and nvidia drivers 177.x, I'm now with 177.41). Just as a reminder, this only happens in crysis. GRID, Mass Effect, 3DMark Vantage, FurMark, never displayed artifacts.

Please advise!
miragedarksun is offline   Reply With Quote