View Single Post
Old 07-07-08, 06:58 PM   #27
panproteus

Exclamation Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

I start losing hope that the drivers will be fixed in the nearest future. This reminds me the last time I used ATI card (about 3-4 years ago). There were countless issues with performance and stability on Linux, that I quickly regreted my purchase. Soon I bought a fresh Nvidia and blacklisted ATI for good. Since then I did not even consider buying another Radeon.

I can stick to some brand as long as it is reliable and I know that I can count on it. Now the things are changing dramatically. AMD after freeing Radeon drivers' source code and improving Linux support is giving better option than Nvidia with bugged 8x00/9x00 which I have the least pleasure to use in my Linux boxes. It has been 8 months since I bought 8x00 cards, being assured that the fix is on its way, and still working with GUI brings physical pain to my eyes. I know - I already bought the card, the money was spent, but I will not spend a single penny on another one (especially now when AMD option is getting better). Not when credibility is fading away...

Seriously, are the Nvidia decision makers, aware of the seriousness of the issue? They might not be even aware that such issue exists. Shouldn't someone show them that neglecting Linux userbase can lead to Nvidia losing it's commodity graphics market share? Even if this would be 1, 2 or 3 % (which does not look seriously), they should be aware of this and at least try to prevent it. Words spread fast and it is hard to undo them. Unfortunately for large corporations some things are noticed long after the turning point is reached.

I do not want to tell anyone not to use Nvidia products or to use it's competition's. I REALLY would like to use GeForces in the future. But if I will - this also depends on the decisions the vendor will take.

SO NVIDIA DECISION MAKERS: PLEASE, ALLOCATE MORE RESOURCES IN SOLVING LINUX PERFORMANCE ISSUES ON 8x00/9x00. FOR OUR SATISFACTION. FOR YOUR FURTHER PROFITS. THIS IS REALY P1 FOR LARGE PART OF LINUX USERBASE.
panproteus is offline   Reply With Quote