That's a band-aid you've used... The card shouldn't overheat like that under any circumstances... You had to use water-cooling to prevent a faulty card from shutting down...
I always watercool my graphics cards because I don't tolerate loud fan noises in any of my computers, so I was going to watercool it anyway. But yes, I see your point. Then again, it's working flawlessly now, so as far as I'm concerned, the design of the default cooler is at fault - for not providing adequate cooling to the card.