View Single Post
Old 07-08-08, 05:37 AM   #1
K007

Default To GTX 280....or 4870....

Well...i can finally buy either of these cards now from my local retail shop ><...

The GTX 280 is arround 800-850AUD.....
The 4870 atm only one flavour Gigabyte is 399.99.

To make it easy, in USD

GTX 280 - $762USD

4870 - $382USD

Yes...thats right..thats how much the GTX280 price is...

I feel the GTX 280 defiantly does have some good features...
- Phyx
- 1GB Ram/512bit
- Drivers look more mature (compared to ati).
- Future proof (ignoring the 10.1)

- Cheap (Makes upgrading to the next card a bit easier if it comes out in the next 6-12 months)
- GDDR5
- Smaller length, also power cables are not much of an issue.

Atm i game at 1280x960, main reason is because i am still CRT and i can hit 85hz refresh rate on it. I don't want to upgrade my screen because i feel its really pointless, i am quiet happy with my CRT which i purchased a very long time ago...when the 6800GT came out...and it works great.

I feel the 4870 is more than enough, but i don't feel that its a card that can last some time...its 512MB of ram (Where the **** are those 1GB cards?!?!) seems like a real let down, once AA starts to play in..even though it has the power..if it runs out of ram its gonna run out of juice...

The GTX280 defiantly feels very strong card, 1GB of ram, 512bit, lots of hoarse power, a card that could last quiet sometime, much like the 8800GTX...but seeing all these heat issues and the card just going boom 105C and having to RMA...i really don't like this..i had alot of bad experience left with the 7900GTX..5+ Cards die from getting stressed and 3 of which were out of the box @ the store on different computers...it was disgusting...not to mention a complete waste of my time as i only have free time during the weekend to run off to the store and get a new card and after spending that much $ i would feel a bit ripped off...thank fully the 7950GX2 was a good card -.-...

I defiantly feel that the 4870 is a solid card atm, sure its temps are high atm...but thats due to its fan speeds set to really low levels...plus aftermarket coolers seem to drop the temps down in half, opens the door for overclocking...so even if u account aftermarket cooler the cost is far less than the GTX280...

Also 4870 seems to have some ****ty drivers..and by that i mean AMD/ATi seem to really slack off in that department...i think it has issues in AoC?...and what eva the case...they seem very very slow in bringing them out...where as nvidia seems to be getting drivers out quick..atleast faster than ati....

What to do -.-....

My specs are in my Sig for PSU / etc. I did do a full upgrade awhile ago, but held back on the gpu till i see how the 4870/gtx200 series go out, i am very glad i did wait it out.

My PSU dosen't have the 8 pin thing, so i will need a convert one of the 6pins into it, i do have 2 pci-e connectors (just have to plug them into the psu)..i may have to disable one of my hdd tho...might get a 1TB HDD as well..put everything into 1.

Xfire is a open door for me..i am on x38...but i really don't feel like ati is going to pick up on there drivers..and i rather buy a gtx280 than 2x4870...
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote