View Single Post
Old 07-10-08, 08:33 PM   #40
Xion X2

Default Re: The right price for the GTX200 family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay View Post
Then perhaps your question about "Why did ATI choose a narrow bus and GDDR5" would be better suited for ATI and not me.
Perhaps so. I just thought we might could have a civil, friendly discussion about it. Guess not.

Quote:
After using a significant amount of SLI configurations with 512 Megs, 768, 896 and 1 gigabyte. The higher the memory. The more consistent the experience. Due to never forcing texture data across the system bus.
I don't argue that's the case most of the time, as it makes sense. I'm just seeing different things when it comes to the 4800 series. Like the following, for another example.

Here we have Oblivion running at 2560x this time with 8xAA and HDR enabled. Yet the 4870 still flies through it like a bat out of hell--scoring 4fps higher than the GTX280.

High resolution, high AA, and HDR all combined. The very things that eat up VRAM, yet the 4870's not even phased by it.

Now I'm not saying it won't be VRAM limited at some point in the future, but the ceiling on this card appears to be a bit higher than many think it is. If current games run just fine at 2560x and 8xAA with HDR, then next-gen games, barring they don't change too much (which most of the time they don't except for the occasional Crysis), should run pretty well if you just lower the settings a little.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote