View Single Post
Old 07-11-08, 12:20 PM   #81
cvearl
Radeon 9700 Pro

Default Re: The right price for the GTX200 family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH64 View Post
Umm all of you are talking about how the 4800 series are running some games @2560x1600 at fast framerate , but what about the hiccups/stuttering/hitches during gameplay ? AFAIK most reviews dont talk about that or focus on that issue. i recall how my X1900XT 512MB was playing Oblivion decently with QTP3 installed - framerate wise - , but hitches every once in a while due to video memory limitaions. it was annoying.
(another older exmaple is CoD1 when veryhigh/extra textures are used , 128MB cards like 9800Pros ran good but with hiccups , 256MB cards like 9800XT's ran smoothly)
Ya but I think in the end. If you are going to put the card in situations that it will have some occasional hitching and so on by using ultra texture packs in new games or trying to run Crysis all HIGH at 1600x1200 with 4xAA and 16xAF (which is too slow on GTX260 to begin with), you better cough up the $500+ to get the GTX280.

I think argueing about a $289 - $319 card's memory limitations in extreme situations is kind of silly. The GTX260 is not really going to have all that much advantage in that regard. By the time 512MB is not mainstream enough to enjoy a title on 22" LCD, new cards will be out anyway. The 8800GTX's dominance since 2 years ago was not it's RAM it was how incredibly freaking powerfull it's GPU is. As evidenced by this years G92 varients in the same games at the same settings.

Just to see about this whole "hitching" thing I will play the entire next level of Crysis in ALL HIGH mode with 1680x1050 and see how it goes. As long as the framerates stay over 40 I am happy I guess. But after that I will still turn a few items to medium as I am not happy unless I am getting over 50 in fps's 90% of the time. It's just how I am made.

Hey! Is there a way to know how much framebuffer I am using in Crysis? r_displayinfo=1 does not seem to say anything. It says RAM 1100MB or something sometimes but I think that is how much RAM is in use only.

C.
cvearl is offline   Reply With Quote