View Single Post
Old 07-11-08, 07:11 PM   #90
ChrisRay

Default Re: The right price for the GTX200 family...

If your getting 115 FPS in a game. Wouldnt you like to turn on additional AA settings? 8x MS. MS + SS hybrids? When your well over the 100 FPS mark you start turning on additional features such as SLI/Crossfire AA modes. The question is. Do you have the memory to handle these modes? I' I'm sure "115%" scaling is more of an anamoly than anything else. m not reading too far into it. It occasionally happens with SLI. ((See my Crysis results with GTX 260 SL))

In my examples. The 9800GTX was pulling 70 FPS on AVG in that screenshot with SLI. But unfortunately when trying to increase the quality. You couldnt because it hit the memory barrier. So yes I do feel its silly. If I AVG over 100 FPS in any game. The first thing I do is turn on a fullscreen supersampling filter ((usually 1x2 SS)) for the -1.0 LoD adjustment it brings to the entire scene.

Like I said. The same thing happens with the 9800GX2 Quad SLI setup. It can run that scene at like 111 FPS. But when I turn on 16xQ. It drops to 3 FPS due to running out of memory. Very disappointing. With SLI and Multi GPU the point has never been to get over 100 FPS in a title. But too increase the quality as far as you can. IE bring unplayable settings to playable. On an LCD screen achieving 115 FPS is pointless. Yes its an interesting demonstration of speed. But I'm sure anyone who saw that kind of performance would likely want to attempt and turn up settings even further. Because they have nothing to lose. Its well over any LCD's refresh rate for visible FPS. With a 9800GX2 Quad SLI setup. Those 16xQ settings are impossible to attempt. Despite it having the raw fillrate to do it.

Chris
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote