View Single Post
Old 07-11-08, 07:20 PM   #93
ChrisRay

Default Re: The right price for the GTX200 family...

I was comparing 9800GTX + SLI to GTX 280 Single card. Use your head and actually read for once Medion.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
Absolutely. But there are two factors to consider here. One - you're still gaining a lot by going from 55fps to up over 100fps. It means that your minimums are much higher. Anyone who's gone dual-GPU knows how smooth a game can look when framerates are consistently above 60.

Two - not all of us feel the need to 16xAA everything--especially at 2560x. I honestly think it's some sort of crack-like addiction for some just to say they can do it when the reality is that it's virtually impossible to tell the difference between 4--8--16x AA at that high a resolution. I know that when I had my G80 SLI setup that it was very difficult to tell going from 8x-16xAA, and that was at 1680x1050. I can't imagine that an image so sharp at 2560x would need that much AA.

Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to test that myself, but I will be the owner of a 1080p soon enough.
That does depend entirely on where the min FPS bottlenecks are coming from. If your min FPS is 40 and is result of a CPU bottleneck. Its far less distracting to drop from say 60 FPS to 120 FPS. In these cases ideally we all want vsync enabled with triple buffering off for consistent inter-frame delay.

Inter-Frame Delay is extremely important in this case. Say your getting 100 FPS on a multi GPU setup your frames are toggled and adjusted with AFR and AFR will attempt to render those frames at maximum performance.

Frame 1: 15 MS
Frame 2: 30 MS
Frame 3: 45 MS
Frame 4: 60 MS.

Now assuming your running at 120 FPS. Multi GPU never distributes frame delay that evenly. Hence why 60 FPS on a single GPU is not = to 60 FPS on a multi GPU.

But in the example above. A frame spike would look something like this with Quad SLI

12-30-43-51-100-112-128-145-160.

For a smooth and consistent gaming experience. Your inter-frame delay must be as consistent as possible with minimums/highs. So therefore enabling Vsync or raising the quality is absolutely ideal. This is the common multi GPU stutter people sometimes describe. In ideal rendering. You run a consistent 60 or consistent 30 FPS all the time without the spikes.

Chris
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote