View Single Post
Old 07-17-08, 09:12 AM   #23
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar
Default Re: Crysis tweaked config.

What I don't like is that nearly every mod I've tried has some overly done SSAO settings that give that odd glow around your weapon and other object edges in low light...especially grass. It makes the grass look like it's got some wierd layer stroke effect from Photoshop or something.. Takes away all the crispness of the texture.

Anyways, here's my thread regarding my thoughts on the mster config.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=114846

The main thing for me was that it totally shattered my previous benchmarks and though after pouring through the config file, I discovered lots of visuals had been turned down, what mattered the most was that my eyes didn't realize this. They found the right ones to turn down and the right ones to leave high and it wasn't until I started hacking away in the command console and changing values, taking screen shots, etc and I went back to my screenshots folder and looked at the untouched Mster config sshots and those that I had ended up with after about an hour of tweaking, I saw that visually, there was nothing groundbreaking that I was missing, nothing that made me want to keep my settings and more importantly, I saw that my FPS had dropped from 43 down to 29.

The quality of visuals did not increase proportionally to how much the quality of gameplay decreased from that missing 12~15 fps.

That is the big picture (IMO) that a lot of us don't get. Gaco and I slaved over the console for over 2 weeks and exhausted every single console command and the fps changes and stuff and though we both had a good config setup going towards the end, it wasn't until I saw the mster config and saw the rediculous frame rates it was getting me then went through it's config files and realized I was going about it the wrong way.

I was starting with a very high 26 fps maxed out visuals config and then dumbing it down until it hit low 30's on avg in the benchmark and calling it a day. The guys that did mster config went the opposite way I believe and started with it dumbed down and built the visuals up and this way could see what made a difference and what didn't as far as visuals go and what affected FPS more than some other value.

anyways, I'm not knocking your config. I know that anyone who does this stuff obvoiusly has to put a lot of time, trial and error and screen shot comparison time into it and I respect that. I can't count how many hours I read through config files and how many various console commands I've typed in.. probably longer than I've spent playing the game!!
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote