View Single Post
Old 07-18-08, 01:35 PM   #17
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

Default Re: Overclocking Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz/1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
That is probably due to what people call vdroop.

The cpu voltage drops under load. I think its some sort of thermal or safety feature. It can be annoying while overclocking but its probably why our CPUs can take 1Ghz + overclocks 24\7 for years without failing.

Basically, you'll have to bump the voltage up more to compensate, and its up to you if you think its worth it. You'll get more heat (since the voltage will be higher at idle too), but you'll also get more overclocking head room. Since you're using a tuniq tower, you can probably go for it. Just watch your temps and use coretemp to monitor during testing. Most other programs don't report the correct temps.

I have my voltage set to 1.5v, which is pretty damned high, and under full load my CPU drops to around 1.44v. Thanks to the big ass cooler I'm using, the system has been rock solid for almost a year now. These chips are amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
Teh Capt's right SLippe, more vCore needed. My old Striker seemed to need alot of volts, I had it at 1.5v @ 3.36Ghz.

400Mhz FSB is a good OC cos like you said, you can run your memory at a 1:1 ratio. I would try again with higher vCore, 1.45v ish, if it's stable at that clock, drop the vCore to find the minimum vCore for that speed.

Have you disabled the 'spread spectrum' options, that usually helps. The P35 chipset can generally get well over 450Mhz.
Thanks, fellas. I'll mess with it more this weekend. I start my "vacation" on Sunday, so I'll have like 10 days off to mess with it. My temps have been really good, so far, so I don't think 1.45v or whatever will be too bad. I'll report back in a few days. Thanks, again.
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote