View Single Post
Old 07-21-08, 06:16 AM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: A few questions for recent GTX 280 owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
1: Is the overheating problem that seems to be effecting like 50% of them fixed yet on recent cards?
It should be. The eVGA GTX 280 I initially bought was from the early batch that had problems. I did an RMA through eVGA directly, and the new card has been working fine. If you buy one online, there is still a chance that it could be one of the early units, so make sure you get it from someplace like Newegg that has a good return/exchange policy. Otherwise, hold on to your invoice and deal directly with the manufacturer.

Quote:
2: Is the driver issue with not being able to display above 60hz on Vista fixed now?
Never heard of this. Are you talking in general, or is this about the 60 Hz thing that's been present since Windows 2000? I just tired 1024x768 @ 75 Hz and it worked fine.

Quote:
3: Does anyone have a Corsair HX620 power supply and is running a GTX 280? If so, how does it work? From what I can tell, it can be done, but it requires a bunch of half-assery and converter connectors and I'm not sure I want to go that route.
The general rule of thumb is that you want to avoid using any sort of power adapter(s) with these cards. I have an OCZ GameXStream 600W, which has a 6- and 8-pin connection, and the card works great. If you don't have the proper power connections, you might want to consider investing in a newer PSU.

Quote:
4: Drivers in general, any crashes/instability?
Biggest problem right now, aside from overheating, is the card throttling its speed in 3D applications for no apparent reason. We have a sticky on that issue here, and apparently NVIDIA is aware of the problem. A fix is allegedly on the way, but that was discussed a couple weeks ago. There are workarounds you can employ with RivaTuner.

Quote:
5: Any specific board makers having lots of problems? I have a BFG 8800GTX OC right now, was thinking about going with them again as they seem respectable, thinking about getting the BFG GTX 280 OCX version, anyone have this?
Personally, I would go with an eVGA board because when you register the card, you can buy their advance RMA service. For about $10-19, you can get a replacement card shipped to you first, and eVGA will pay shipping to send the old/defective card back. I picked the standard overnight RMA, which I think was $17. When you submit an RMA, it takes a day or two for them to process and ship the replacement card, but that's still faster than you having to send in your card first and wait for them to ship a replacement. It was a pretty hassle free process, all things considered.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote