View Single Post
Old 08-08-03, 11:43 PM   #115
rmonster

Quote:
Originally posted by BigBerthaEA
The rolling lines issue with the GF2 Ultra is NOT "this very same incident" as this issue because the "rolling lines" were visible in 2D as well as 3D. This issue is not rolling lines....I would describe it as a pulsating effect that could be descrived as flicker...either way, a $500 graphics card should not have such issues.

I also have to agree with Volt with regard to your statement about nVidia's QA. If this issue was as noticeable or widespread as it appears now that hundreds of users are using them, why didn't veteran hardware reviewers pick up on it? Could it be the issue is not 100% reproducible by EVERY user and is much like a bug in a piece of software that happens to get by QA and beta testers only to be discovered by some users among the masses? If you think nVidia's QA actually saw such a thing and did not report it, then how did the hardware reviewers miss it? Never saw a single mention of it in a review until this week when the issue has been widely discussed.
Err, yes it was (from the descriptions of the current issue) the same. Flickering in 3d, rolling lines in 2d, got worse with mouse movement, etc. Yes, it was well documented and widespread back then as well, though to date no solution was ever provided.

Creative just closed their doors to the US, claiming that customers were too demanding and returned too many cards on rma status.

As laughable as it might sound to you now, those cards were the flagships back then, and cost the same $500, although allowing for inflation, were probably even more expensive comparatively than the 5900's are now.

I empathize for your situation, having been through it myself, and truly hope a solution is found. Kudos to BB and Nvidia for stepping up to the plate this time and asking for input to get to the bottom of it, which is quite a bit more than was done for me and others like me a while back.

Just my .02
rmonster is offline   Reply With Quote