View Single Post
Old 07-26-08, 04:23 AM   #221
aviynw

Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Hi, if you are experiencing very slow 2d make sure it is not because you're computer is getting too hot. I'm sure you know that many of the 8xxx cards in laptops are failing. I started experiencing slow 2d performance only after my computer was on for a certain amount of time until my gpu eventually got fired and I had to get it fixed. If your computer is getting too hot it may not be gpu that is actually making it go slow, but the processor. When my computer was getting too hot the slowdown seemed only to occur when my processor reached a certain temperature regardless of my gpu temperature. That would make sense as I think the processor is more involved with 2d rendering than 3d rendering.

I also found that my compiz performance was never great. I think the source was powermiser. I added the option nvidia NVreg_RegistryDwords="PerfLevelSrc=0x3322" to modprobe.conf which is supposed run the gpu at full speed all the time only when plugged in and it seemed to do what it was supposed to and helped a lot.

Now, I am experiencing a new problem. I think the problem is only with 173 driver but I am not sure yet. Sometimes when I unplug my laptop then plug it back in again 2d starts to go really slow. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the 173 driver, the 173 driver with NVreg_RegistryDwords="PerfLevelSrc=0x3322, or just NVreg_RegistryDwords="PerfLevelSrc=0x3322. I will test more and let you know.
aviynw is offline   Reply With Quote