View Single Post
Old 07-26-08, 06:55 AM   #225
xsolarwindx

Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
Maybe this helps. These settings are the opposite of all recommended settings for any video card in your usual Composite howto, but, actually, they are giving me better performance.

1. Right click on your title bar, and select, in your KDE 4, "Configure window behavior"
2. In "Desktop Effects", select "Advanced options".
3. Select the following:
Composition type: OpenGL
OpenGL Mode: Shared memory (ENABLE THIS AFTER YOU ENABLE DIRECT RENDERING, IF YOU DO OTHERWISE YOU WILL EXPERIENCE SCREEN CORRUPTION)
Direct rendering: Enabled
VSync: Enabled

These settings, with "OnDemandVBlankInterrupts" "True" in my xorg.conf, are yielding less CPU usage and better performance here (KDE 4.0.99)

About 2D acceleration: Linux is using 2D acceleration in a way that Windows never used before. We must give NVIDIA folks some time. I've not seen in Windows a massive use of 2D overlays and transparent surfaces, and, when I've tried to force them with addons in Windows... Windows XP becomes as slow as KDE 4.1. Vista is other story (hint: wait for Glucose).
You've got a point there. This seems interesting. OpenGL DOES have a lot better performance. Let me try that.
xsolarwindx is offline   Reply With Quote