View Single Post
Old 08-09-03, 12:52 PM   #11
silmacil

Send a message via ICQ to silmacil Send a message via AIM to silmacil
Default problems solved

I gave Gentoo another try on my machine. I have wanted to run gentoo for quite some time but have alwasy preferred Mandrake. SInce I was getting lock ups all the tiem I figured, no tiem liek the present. Mandrake 9.1 uses kernel 2.4.21 so when I installed Gentoo, I tried 2.4.22_pre2-gss. Thsi kernle contains many patches including the nforce ide and the nvagp. It it reccomended by gentoo for mission critical servers running the latest hardware, so I figured it would be a good lace to start. Low and behold all of my locksup went away. I'l still using nVidia's 4363 videos drivrs, the 256 lan drivrs and the 261 audio drivers. Aside from being stable, this has been the first time I've been able to use the SPDIF on my card and both NIC cards.

I'm not saying to switch to gentoo if you have an A7N8X2.0 Deluxe, but there is definitely a problem with that board and the 2.4.21 kernels without the nforce patches.

If you want further details about what patches are in this kernle, you can see them on gentoo's site or I can get a list to post here.

good luck
silmacil is offline   Reply With Quote