View Single Post
Old 08-05-08, 09:04 AM   #5
particleman

Default Re: 780a Hybrid SLi 280 GTX heat problem in power save mode

Yep, there are 3 modes "save power" = hybrid power, "boost performance" which on high end cards should basically be passthru, and "additional displays". The "save power" (hybrid power mode) is supposed to turn off the cards. I've run GPUZ coming out of "save power" mode and the temperature is definitely much higher than idling in "boost performance" mode, I've seen the temperatures in the 80's coming out of hybrid power. It is probably even higher but it takes a few seconds to start up GPUZ after turning it back to "boost performance" and you can't run GPUZ on the cards when they are in hybrid power. So I suspect if I let the cards stay in Hybrid power longer the temperatures would go into the 100's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
Isn't there a setting for "hybrid power"?

I thought Hybrid SLI and Hybrid Power were actually two separate things you had to enable. Hybrid SLI can give a performance boost on slower cards but I don't think it was ever intended to make a high end system faster.

Hybrid Power is used to save power, and I swear more than one review I've read has said that it is a separate option to enable and isn't a part of Hybrid SLI.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote