View Single Post
Old 08-10-08, 05:03 AM   #43
Lfctony

Default Re: So I got second GTX280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkd View Post
I see people concerned about microstutering, let me assure you guys I think it does exist but the situation is sort of blown out of proportion, because I personally only notices in lost planet extreme condition at high resolution and AA with 9800gtx sli and fps was 50 average, but in other games where the frame rates were sky high I never noticed it, it only seems to happen when the games are really taxing your hardware, and I dont think there is any situation with current games where the game would bring the gtx 280 sli to its knees, sometimes it is just simple stuttering that is confused with microstuttering, but when microstutter happens you can see it happening, it is hard to explain but you can see it happening, It does exist but not to an extent that it exists under all circumstances. now I have gtx 280 but I really dont see the need for sli right now as the single card even plays crysis at high and gives me close to 50fps average at 1920x1200 overclocked at 700
Mate, think about something... Why would anyone need a second card? -> For situations when 1 card is not enough... However, in these situations, as you have noticed yourself, micro-stuttering is more pronounced. With very high FPS you don't need SLI, at very low FPS you need SLI but you suffer from obvious micro-stuttering... The only situation where SLI actually matters, is the only situation where its problems are quite obvious...

Take my recent system for example... 2 GTX280s maxed out Devil May Cry 4, 230+ FPS. Naturally, there was no micro-stuttering... Does it matter if I run it with one card, since I'd be getting 100+ FPS? Not really.

Then take Crysis at V.High. Here the game is unplayable with one card, playable with 2 cards. SLI matters here, but it suffers from hitching and micro-stuttering...

In situations where SLI becomes useful, its not working that well besides increasing the reported framerate...

The same goes for Crossfire btw... Before anyone jumps the gun...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote