View Single Post
Old 08-12-03, 08:23 PM   #14
etr

Default On Compiling Kernels and MTRR

Well, I have a system running with 2.4.20-8 using the 4363 driver, so it looks like you should have MTRR enabled. Just as a paranoia check, it might be smart to run the following command, however:

grep -i mtrr /var/log/dmesg

The output of that command can be used to verify the presence of MTRR support.

In addition, it would probably be helpful if you would post more information nVidia driver information from the /proc file system. The following command should make this easier:

find /proc/drivers/nvidia -exec echo \; -exec echo {} \; -exec cat {} \; 2>/dev/null 1>file

(On some systems, it may be necessary to replace "{}" with "\{\}".)

In addition, it would be helpful to know what motherboard is being used. While this isn't necessarily the case, there may be an issue between your specific type of motherboard and nVidia. From what I've read in the FAQ, there are a LOT of little gotchas for different motherboards.

Just for background on kernel compilation, you need the kernel source to build a kernel. The kernel source is generally found under /usr/src/. The directory name for the source usually specifies the linux version (ie, /usr/src/linux-2.4.20/). In addition, there is often a symlink called /usr/src/linux that points to the proper directory. (This makes it very easy to keep the source for multiple kernels.) However, in RH9, the soruce for the provided kernel should be in /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/ (provided that the kernel source package has been installed), and the symlink is named /usr/src/linux.

Much more than that, and I'll recommend you explore some of the docs and find a kenel compilation readme. However, before you build a custom kernel, you build a configuration that determines what gets built. This file will be named .config, and will be in the Linux source directory (ie, /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/). However, please note that all files whose names start with a "." are hidden, so they won't show up with "ls" unless you specify the "-a" option. AFAIK, RedHat does not include a .config file with its kernel source, so you won't have one unless you have built a custom kernel.
etr is offline   Reply With Quote