View Single Post
Old 08-13-08, 04:48 PM   #65
ZicoTheTux

Default Re: Please stop that bashing...

Quote:
However now that ATI have opened their drivers I am seriously considering getting their card in my next purchase .
Quote:
However, at least until the merger with AMD was complete, ATI had no plans to release their drivers as open source code:

Proprietary, patented optimizations are part of the value we provide to our customers and we have no plans to release these drivers to open source. In addition, multimedia elements such as content protection must not, by their very nature, be allowed to go open source.
Quote:
Q4: Is complete driver source code available?
A4: Some of the technologies supported in our driver are protected by non-disclosure agreements with third parties, so we cannot legally release the complete source code to our driver. It is NOT open source. We do, however, include source code for the control panel and certain other public segments. We also actively assist developers in the Open Source community with their work, so if you absolutely require an open source driver for your graphics card, we can recommend using drivers from the DRI project, Utah-GLX project, or others.
*snap*
Sorry, from the official side, ATi also is no alternative for me.
ZicoTheTux is offline   Reply With Quote