View Single Post
Old 09-14-02, 11:18 AM   #1
knchee

Default Need help to get the X to work on my Acer TravelMate 630

Recently, I tried to install the RH 7.2 on my Acer TravelMate 630 and to get it working. During the installation, every things went fine (RH 7.2 event auto detect the Nvidia Gforce 2 Go) until the part where it need to input the data for the Monitor. I can not find a match in the list for my nootbook LCD screen with a resolution 7024 x 768. I went on to use Custom manual setup where I entered the closest value ( I think!) and when the installation process tried to probe my Monitor, my screen went blur and I can't read any thing off the screen. All I can do next is to reboot my notebook and tried on different sets of value and they all fail.

I was advised to download from the net the driver NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.tar.gz and NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2960.tar.gz and installed with (tar xvzf NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.tar.gz, tar xvzf NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2960.tar.gz, cd NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960, make install, cd ../NVIDIA_GLX, make install). During the "make install" in NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960 directory, the error message in sttached herewith in 'install.error'. I edited the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 as described in the Nvidia website. When I tried to startx X regardlessly, the on screen error message in attached in the file 'XFree86.0.log'.

I have no clue of what went wrong, I AM A COMPLETE NEWBIE! I really hope that you would help me and guide me through step-by-step to make X can work on my notebook.

Thank you and looking forward to receiving a reply from you soon. I have spent nights on this and it still refuse to work, it really start to drive me crazy!.

Oswald
knchee is offline   Reply With Quote