View Single Post
Old 08-13-03, 06:11 PM   #16
etr

OK, the chipset is very relevant here--the README for the drivers includes the following text:

Quote:
The following AGP chipsets are supported by NVIDIA's AGP; for all other chipsets it's recommended that you use the AGPGART module.

o Intel 440LX
o AMD 762 ("IGD4 MP")
o VIA 8371
o VIA 82C694X
o VIA KT133
o VIA KT266
o RCC 6585HE
In short, there is a possibility that nVidia's own AGP module does not support your motherboard chipset. While I won't say this with finality yet, I think the next step is to check your PCI ID's. The following two commands might be helpful:

lspci
lspci -n

This will make it pretty easy to figure out what we're looking at. The following is the relevant code from the 4191 version of the nVidia driver (I'm guessing that they haven't added new support for older hardware):

{ PCI_VENDOR_ID_VIA, 0x0391, "Via Apollo Pro KX133 " },
{ PCI_VENDOR_ID_VIA, 0x0305, "Via Apollo Pro KT133 " },
{ PCI_VENDOR_ID_VIA, 0x3099, "Via Apollo Pro KT266 " },
{ PCI_VENDOR_ID_VIA, 0x0691, "Via Apollo Pro " },
{ PCI_VENDOR_ID_VIA, 0x0501, "Via MVP4 " },
{ PCI_VENDOR_ID_VIA, 0x0597, "Via VP3 " },
{ PCI_VENDOR_ID_VIA, 0x0598, "Via MVP3 " },
{ PCI_VENDOR_ID_VIA, 0x0000, "Via (unknown) " },
{ 0x0000, 0x0000, "Unkown Host Bridge " },

If we can't find the PCI ID for your motherboard in this list, we may have to steer you toward using AGPGART. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to run a similar check with your current drivers. If you still have the code for the drivers handy, it would be helpful if you would run

grep -n PCI_VENDOR_ID_VIA nv.c

This will get the corresponding list fo the drivers you are running.

At this point, I'm not confident enough to say whether your chipset is supported, but getting those PCI ID's would be a step in the right direction.

One other quick note...

Quote:
the find /proc/drivers/nvidia -exec echo \; -exec echo {} \; -exec cat {} \; 2>/dev/null 1>file command didn't return anything ...
I put the word "file" in bold to signify that a filename should have been provided. If you look at where you ran the command, there is probably a file named "file" with the information you just posted . To get the information dumped to the terminal, you would just need to remove "1>file" from the end of the command. I apologize for not being more explicit.

Fixed a broken end quote tag
etr is offline   Reply With Quote