View Single Post
Old 08-25-08, 12:14 PM   #84
gstanford

Default Re: NVIDIA says it will win back performance leadership this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon View Post
Because it is troublesome?

What's more likely to fail, a system running one video card or two? (This is not a trick question). Because several games don't support it. Some don't even work right with it on, including new ones where they haven't spent sufficient time in QC/QA on SLI compatibility. Of the ones that use it correctly, its twice the cost for ~ 30-50% more performance.

I recommend SLI to folks with lots of money who enjoy troubleshooting, or who have 30" LCDs.

There are better AA modes than what a single card offers? Heck, I just have one, and I can do 16x with transparency. Geez, who wouldn't be satisfied with that?
A properly setup SLI system is no more susceptible to failure than an non sli system. My current rig is my second SLI system, the GT280's will be my third.

I don't have "lots of money", I don't enjoy troubleshooting (though I'm certainly capable of it), I do have a 30" LCD, and yes, there are better AA modes than a single card can offer. In fact you probably haven't even seen all the modes your single card is capable of. Try using nHancer to enable the combined AA modes.

Primary rig:
CPU: Intel i7 2600K
Cooler: Cooler MAster Hyper 212+
Motherboard Asrock z68 Extreme 4
Memory: 8gb Corsair DDR-3 1333
Video: 2x Galaxy GTX 670 reference 2gb
PhysX: Gainward GTX 460 SE 1gb
Video Capture: Compro E-700 DVB-T PCI-e
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W
Monitor: Samsung 305T 30"
Case: Coolermaster stacker 830
Hard drives: 5x 500gb seagate SATA (non raid)
Burner: Samsung SH-S18L
OS: Vista Ultimate 64 bit and Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
MS Sidewinder Joystick
Logitech G25 wheel
Logitech 5.1 speaker system
gstanford is offline   Reply With Quote