View Single Post
Old 08-26-08, 08:28 PM   #16
Heinz68

Default Re: So why should I buy a GTX280 again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Gah. I keep going back and forth between

GTX280 - $395US
or
4870x2 - $534US

Being a gfx *****, I always run at max gfx setting at my native res 19x10 4xAA 16xAF.

Only downside I see from ATI is possible HDTV scaling issues at 1080p, slightly poor FSAA compatibility, heat and my PSU(HX520) may not cut it (add another $130 if it fails to deliver).

My brain says buy the x2 but my gut tells me I'll be more hassle free (I hate doing returns and restocking fees just to try) going 280.

Money isn't too much of an issue but it's pushing the limit if I need different PSU.

Knowing all the above, some one make a decision for me.
This is not advice what you should do. You should be able to make up your own mind.

Here as I look at the current situation.
Based strictly on "performance per dollar", the GTX 280 is definitely better deal, thanks to ATI forcing the NVIDIA big price reduction. Anyway based only on the above GTX 260 and HD 4870 is even better deal.
People with smaller monitors using lower resolution for gaming should definitely consider that.

When looking to buy the top performance card the HD 4870 x2 is definitely the winner after so many reviews including users ones I can't believe anybody would still have any doubts about it.
Also it is better solution for higher resolution and high settings.

About the "HDTV scaling issues at 1080p" it will more depend on the HDTV used, have yet find anybody having problem with the Westy HDTV monitors.

Anyway I posted here how some people at AMD Game Forum found a very simple solution about that. But if the problem is reported in numbers ATI would have to find very fast fix for that.

I'm sure my next upgrade is HD 4870 x2 just waiting for the Nehalem first. Or at least closer to the release day.

------------------------------------------------------------
Core i7 980X EE @ 4316 MHz 1.35V - Corsair Hydro Series H50
ASUS Rampage II Extreme - Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 12GB Triple-Channel
Sapphire HD 6990 - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
Intel X25-M 160GB 34nm G2 SSD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32mb
Cosmos S Case - Corsair HX1000W PSU
Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R - Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel - Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2
Sennheiser RS 180 - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
Heinz68 is offline   Reply With Quote