View Single Post
Old 08-31-08, 12:22 PM   #10
MisterMister

Default Re: UT3 runs worse with 'Enable SLI Technology'

You know, I really dont get the big deal with SLI (problems wise). Ive been using my 9600GT SLI setup for about 6 months now without a single problem. In fact the BIGGEST "issue" I've ever encountered is having to re-enable SLI in the Nvidia control panel after changing/updating the drivers!

On my current system/setup, I've played (in no specific order):

The Orange Box (HL, HL2, HL2 ep. 1 & 2, TF2, & Portal); Need For Speed: Pro Street & NFS: Undercover; G.R.I.D. ; Call of Duty 2 & COD 4; DOOM3; F.E.A.R. & it's expansion packs; Supreme Commander; Black & White 2 & "Battle Of The Gods" expansion pack; Crysis; Far Cry; Battlefield 2 & 2142; Tiger Woods PGA 2007 & 2008; Bioshock; Gears of War; Star Trek Legacy; UT04; UT3; Devil May Cry; IL2 Sturmovik; Americas Army; Quake III Arena; Fallout 2; GTA: Vice City; GUN; Rainbow Six 3; Microsoft Flight Sim X; Microsoft Combat Flight Sim 3; & Sins Of a Solar Empire... and that's what I just remember off the top of my head! It's also not including the handful of game demos which I have downloaded and played (with similar results).

I should also mention that I have run benchmarks including 3DMark 2001SE, 2003, 2005, 2006, & 3DMark Vantage... as well as AquaMark, PCMark06 & PCMark Vantage.

I have been able to play ALL of these games/programs with my SLI setup without issue ONE. No noticable "micro stuttering", no huge drops in performance, no freezing/crashing, or any other issues which would scream "its SLI's fault!"...

...And as you can see I've played everything from classics from the 90s, all the way to the latest and greatest current titles... as well as a myriad of graphic & system benchmark programs.

So with that, I have to say, SLI has been VERY good to me. I get kick ass benchmark scores, and I can play every game I just mentioned (with the exception of Crysis) at it's respective maximum detail settings (including AA/AF) @ my screen's native resolution of 1680x1050. And when I say "I can play" I mean I am getting (very) near, at, or above a 60FPS average frame rate. All of which being run on a pair for mid range video cards which can now be had for under $100 USD each (I did pay ~$140/ea when I first bought them 5+ months ago of course)! Now, THATS "bang for your buck" any way you look at it IMO.

To bring things to a finer point... going off of my first hand experience with SLI... I must admit that I not only have NO qualms with it but I also have no doubt that I will be using SLI and/or multi GPU video card setups in the future.

-MM
Intel Q6600 quad core @ 3.4GHz (3.6 for benchmarking)
2GB OCZ ReaperX HPC Edition PC9200 DDR2 RAM (2x1GB)
2x EVGA 9600GT SC in SLI (750/1100Mhz over-clock)
2x WD Raptor HDD (1x 36GB; 1x 74GB)
Samsung Spinpoint HDD (250GB)
Thermalright TRUE-120 w/ dual 120mm fans in push-pull config.
Windows Vista Home Professional w/ SP1 (32-bit)
Samsung SyncMaster 206BW 20" LCD display (1680x1050)

3DMark06: 17,420 Points
MisterMister is offline   Reply With Quote