View Single Post
Old 08-16-03, 05:42 PM   #7
brakezone

Default some kinda simular prob

A NEWB

okay well the story begins on august 11th when i'm sitting at home using unpatched version of windows XP behind a firewall. I am messing with hardware router/firewall configuration at the time and sometimes it will unstealth while i'm setting it up if i do the wrong thing- suddenly bam i get hit by this worm and my machines like shuttingdown and stuff. So i go in msconfig and find msblaster, i turn it off and i restart w/o the program running only to be crashed, so i reset the firewall, turn it on and patch and remove the worm. The next day my brother comes home with SuSe 8.2 linux edition so. I figure hey this is cool I can put this on. So i install it never having used linux before.

during installation I was prompted about the reinstalation of the nvidia driver for my geforce 4 mx 440, under the condition that I install the kernel it offered me. I clicked yes and moved on figuring these were things I had to do anyways. So in this case I assume that I am in the catagory of the how to text where I must follow these instructions in consol only boot up.

1) Kernel sources must be installed and configured. Usually this means
installing the 'kernel-source' RPM with YaST2 and configure it then
with the following commands:

cp /boot/vmlinuz.config /usr/src/linux/.config
cp /boot/vmlinuz.version.h /usr/src/linux/include/linux
cp /boot/vmlinuz.autoconf.h /usr/src/linux/include/linux
cd /usr/src/linux
make cloneconfig dep

2) Use the nvidia installer.

export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=yes
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run

3) Enable 3D support with SaX2.

I believe step one, kernel-souruce RPM installation with YaST2, has been completed during update.

I goto the consol and type cp /boot/vmlinuz.config /usr/src/linux/.config
result- it claims that the /usr/src/linux is not a directory or something, so i go and look for that directory in the x-window interface, its not there, so i created it (at this point i have no idea if i'm doing the right or completely wrong thing) then i go back and type cp /boot/vmlinuz.config /usr/src/linux/.config.

it didn't say anything then so i have to assume that i am doing the right thing.

Then i create directories and type the rest of the copy's

I then run the installer, and I did type export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=yes before hand. It says it can't find a suitable kernal or something of the likes and fails and also says some kernal file isn't where it wants to find it. So in any event I can't figure it out yet. If somebody could tell me the names of the files it wants, where I should put them, or if even that is not enough, in preperation of running the installer. And there is a message at the end of the installers failure that says I should use a command in the commandline to indicate where some kernal is. Where exactly is the commandline, is it inside the installation program or do i type it before installation somehow.
brakezone is offline   Reply With Quote