View Single Post
Old 08-18-03, 12:29 PM   #10
whit

Default Gentoo

Hmm. I've been running Gentoo on production servers for 10 months now, and it's very, very good. I've also run production servers on Slackware, RedHat, Debian, starting back from when Slack was installed from 13 floppies. Slack I haven't used in recent years. RedHat has had serious stability problems - whacked stuff included in their kernels, a major distribution with a buggy version of gcc, and no good path for upgrading between major versions other than a complete reinstall. Debian is much better than RedHat on this stuff, but Debian stable is so conservative you're hobbled by it, and anything beyond that can be unstable indeed. Plus Debian can be slow in getting out security upgrades.

Gentoo gives you current packages, installs them optimized for your system, and has the best layout of package configuration files going. Plus it's very fast in responding to security upgrade needs - which is a vital matter for a production server. If you know what you're doing, Gentoo is the best distro out there. If you don't - well, good luck with any distro.

Anyway, I guess we're all off-topic discussing this on this board.
whit is offline   Reply With Quote