View Single Post
Old 09-11-08, 11:53 PM   #1
holycow

Default GTX 280 Unstable [Solved]

I just installed my BFG GTX 280 OC a week ago and have experienced stability problems since then. My system would run for 5-10 min, then I'd get a black screen and system freeze. This would happen several times in a row, then it would be fine for an hour or so. It didn't matter if I was playing a 3D game or just web browsing.

I thought it might be an issue with the video drivers, but it happened in WinXP and Linux. It even happened once while viewing my BIOS settings. Just to be sure, I tried the drivers that came with the card (v177.26) and the latest beta (v177.92), but still had issues. In Linux, I tried the various beta drivers from 177.13 to 177.70 (latest). No avail.

Then I came across a post (don't remember where) that suggested reseating the card. I tried this, and I must say it seems to have solved the problem. I've gone more than 24 hours without a single freeze or black screen. I've also been able to play WoW, CoD4 and other games for hours without a problem.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass along this tidbit in case anyone else was having similar issues. Try reseating the card in the PCIE slot, and ensure it's fully installed.

BTW, my max temps at full load never got above 85c, so it wasn't overheating.