View Single Post
Old 09-18-08, 11:08 PM   #1
Tuork
Official pain in the ass

Send a message via MSN to Tuork
Default The end of GPU's?

Not really sure where this should go, so I'm going to shove it here in the meantime. Mods, feel free to move, or remove if this is a repost.

THIS is an interesting article about an interview with Tim Sweeney after NVISION.

To sum it up, he basically says that the future of graphics processing is all in powerful multi-purpose parallel processors and programming languages (think C++) that will allow a programmer to basically do whatever he wants.

What do you think? I think he's certainly spot on regarding current tendencies (CUDA, Intel's Larabee - from what I read). If this is the case, what do you think is going to happen to companies like nVidia? They're on the right track, but we're still talking about GPU's here. Would you think AMD/ATI would be able to have a competitive advantage based on these predictions?

I think this is all very exciting. If all this plays out as Sweeney predicts, we're going to be looking at some major changes to the way we view computer architecture.

Dimitri:
Dell XPS M1530
Core2Duo T5550 1.86Ghz | 3GB DDR2 | 8600M GT 256MB | 250GB Hdd | BenQ FP202W 20" LCD | MX1000 mouse | Inspire T5400 5.1
Tuork is offline   Reply With Quote