View Single Post
Old 08-20-03, 10:18 PM   #200
Lasereth

*I was told to post on this forum to help out. I've already sent back my entire computer plus my GeForce FX 5900 Ultra (for the second time). Maybe this information will help those who still need a solution for the buzzing while scrolling problem.*

I bought a new computer this summer. I spent over $1,000 on it, and that's a pretty good amount for a custom PC. Anyway, I ordered it all from NewEgg.com, including an eVGA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra. The first card I got looked really neat with the green heatsink and all, but I had to RMA it unfortunately. Before I get into the problem, here's my setup:

Abit NF7-S Mobo with ALL up-to-date drivers
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
1 GB (512x2) PC2700 RAM, one stick is K-Bit and the other stick is SimpleTech
Maxtor 40 GB 7200 RPM
Samsung CD-RW
Samsung Floppy
400w Sparkle PSU (top of the line, dual heatsink spreaders in it)

My first eVGA FX 5900 Ultra was great. I got a decent 15,650 on 3D Mark 2001 and a decent 5,650 on 3D Mark 2003. I have DirectX 9.0 installed. My problem: When scrolling on webpages or playing games/benchmarks, a VERY annoying buzzing sound is emitted from the video card. It does NOT do it when I'm not scrolling or playing games. Another interesting piece of information: the card does NOT make the noise unless I have the NVIDIA drivers installed. Both of the latest drivers make the noise.

I RMA'ed back my FX to NewEgg.com, and they sent another. Guess what? I got a nice new FX with black heatsinks, and yep -- it makes the same buzzing noise. I've noticed that the more graphically intense app I'm running, the louder/higher pitched the sound is. When running 3d Mark 2003, the sound goes CRAZY. You can hear it over my Volcano 7+ CPU fan at HIGH speed, if that tells you anything.

I'm also experiencing mild flickering in the benchmark tests, but I've read about that on the forums already. Looks like we're all awaiting an answer on that one.

Does anyone have any ideas on what is causing the buzzing sound? It's not coming from my speakers, monitor, or hard drive. It's coming from the FX 100%. I'm running Windows XP Professional Edition, re-installed three times in the past week. I've also made sure that it's not the fan on the FX; the sound is coming from the actual card.

-Lasereth
Lasereth is offline   Reply With Quote