View Single Post
Old 09-15-02, 10:04 PM   #1
Lawrence DeLeon

Default Segmentation Fault on RH 7.3

I am running Red Hat 7.3, and can barely spell Linux. Please don't tell me to run a script or change a file's contents without telling me how to do that.

I downloaded NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.i386.rpm and NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.rpm, got out of X, and issued the command "rpm -ivh" followed by the entire kernel filename. I got numerous indications of dependency errors, but the thing ended up saying it had installed successfully. I issued the same command, this time using the "GLX" filename. It said it installed successfully, but also said there was a "segmentation fault".

I repeated the two installs in the same order, and each said the NVIDIA driver was already installed. However, the segmentation fault error was repeated.

Since it was obvious I was already in trouble, I did NOT alter the XF86Config file. Indeed, I'm not even sure how to do that, although I think an editor called "pico" will work.

However, I did physically install the Arcade FX TNT-2 NVIDIA AGP video card, and rebooted. I was offered a chance to reconfigure my video card, but the attempts fail, and I end up selecting "Quit". That reboot placed me on a console screen.

I have XFree86.0.log and XFree86.9.log files.
I have XF86Config and XF86Config-4 files.

I installed several other packages successfully, but did that through the Kpackage manager in KDE.

I am able to boot into a console, but am corresponding with this forum via Windows machines. I have choosen to remain on the console screen pending knowledge of an appropriate course of action.

Suggestions would be appreciated. In the meantime, I am reading any material that seems relevant.

Thank you to anyone who cares to help.