View Single Post
Old 09-26-08, 11:06 AM   #1
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar
Default Antivirus Experts needed!

OK so we've been having some issues recently with viruses that users don't know about showing up on our network via thumbdrives and portable harddrives.

We're using Symantec 10.2.xx right now and I was able to disable symantec's auto protection, download the EICAR test virus

http://www.rexswain.com/eicar.html

And download it both unzipped and the zipfile to a thumb drive... I re-enable auto protect and NOTHING. Plugged the thumb drive into another system with the latest definitions and nothing. Norton is quiet as a mouse.

Now I've disabled autoprotect once again, moved the eicar.com file onto my desktop and re-enable auto protect.... half an hour later, nothing.. not a peep.

We need a PROACTIVE solution that can look at not only thumb drives but quietly always be on the lookout in the background for suspcious activity.

In all fairness, it DOES come up when I try and download the file to my hdd, it says not so fast and auto protect kicks in. Same as when I try and unzip the file to my hdd or thumbdrive. It does it's thing but it required user interaction... there are a lot of viruses and worms that DONT require me to do ANYTHING to them.

If someone has such a worm or virus on their thumbdrive and bring it to work and plug it in, the malicious file has a playground to do it's dirty work without norton ever blinking an eye.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote