View Single Post
Old 09-27-08, 04:05 PM   #39
Leech

Default Re: Why did NVIDIA skip the revision of Direct X 10.01 on their 9800 GTX/GX2/GTX 260/

I actually blame all of them together. It should be a matter of having an API that is standardized across all platforms / video cards, and that the higher end cards just support more extensions and if the developers decide to use the extra extensions for the high-end stuff they can.

Oh wait, I think I just described OpenGL....

I still point the blame towards Microsoft. If they're going to add new features into their API, that makes it somehow incompatible with other cards that support the major version number, then they should change the major version number, right?

Otherwise, if 10.1 has features that a 10 card doesn't support, then 10.1 should actually be 11. Every other software development house knows that's how version numbers work. Minor versions should always be compatible under the same Major version.

Do we even have any list of features besides better performance that 10.1 provides?

I always thought though that the DX10 cards were supposed to support DX11.

Well, it's not like Microsoft hasn't forced people to update their hardware before....

Leech
Leech is offline   Reply With Quote